Important Safety Tips When Cooking at Your Homestay

safetycookin.jpg

Whether you are or will be staying in a homestay, if you want to cook a meal it is important that you know what not to do while cooking in order to keep you and the other house members safe. “Cooking fires are the number one cause of home fires and home injuries.” – Safety messages about cooking, NFPA (National Fire Protection Association).

Here are some cooking safety tips to help you prevent a fire at your homestay:

1.      Do not leave the kitchen while cooking, especially if you are frying food;

2.      Avoid wearing long sleeve shirts when cooking, but if you do so, roll up your sleeves while cooking;

3.      Keep the handles of your pans away from sticking out;

4.      Keep your stove clean after using it; a big amount of grease can start a fire;

5.      Make sure you have a working smoke alarm at home;

6.      Do not start cooking if you are sleepy or too tired;

7.      Keep everything that can cause fire far away from stovetop, for instance, paper towel or dish towel;

8.      Never place aluminum foil or metal containers inside microwave;

9.      If you smell gas and believe there is a gas leak, open the windows and do not touch the light switch. Turning the switch on or off may generate a spark and cause an explosion;

10.  In case of fire, leave your home immediately and then call the emergency line 9-1-1.

 

Do you have any tip(s)? Let us know in the comments below.