If you are going to study abroad and are wondering what you should pack, you came to the right place. The first thing every student who is going to study abroad needs to do is research. You need to know the weather of your destination. Does it snow? If so, are you going to be there in the winter season? Is it hot all year around? Knowing what the climate and weather is like in your destination during the time you will spend there, will prevent you from packing unnecessary items. If there is one thing you should avoid, is over-packing.
So what should an international student have on their packing list? Well, if you are staying more than a week, you should have at least one carry-on item and one piece of luggage. In your carry-on, you should pack everything important in case your checked luggage gets lost.
Here is a list of the items you should consider packing in your carry on:
- Passport/ visa
- School letter of admission (if applicable)
- Flight information/itinerary
- Accommodation booking information (if staying in a homestay also pack your host family information i.e. address, phone, email, etc.)
- Book or small electronics i.e. iPod, iPad, etc.
- Health insurance information
- Vaccination card
- One change of clothes
- Travel-sized toiletries (3.4 ounces – 100 milliliters) i.e. tooth brush, tooth paste, soap, etc.
- Any medication you need
- Pre-paid visa card/traveler’s check
- At least $250 cash in local currency for emergency
Here is a list of the items you should consider packing in your luggage:
- Jeans/long pants
- Cold weather gear i.e. gloves, winter hats, winter coats, winter boot, scarfs, long sleeve shirts (if applicable)
- At least one formal attire
- Small backpack/bag
- Accessories (i.e. hat, sunglasses, jewelry, etc.)
- Cellphone (if you can use internationally)
- Journal or diary
- Gifts for your host family, roommates, or souvenirs for your new friends
In addition, you could pack other items that are either expensive or hard to find in the host country. Remember not to over-pack; most things can be found anywhere, especially toiletry items.
Now that you have a list of what to pack, start packing and have a great trip!
Do you have any questions? Leave in the comments below.