If you are planning on hosting international students, it’s important that you make them feel comfortable and welcome right away. While giving a welcome gift is not mandatory, it’s highly recommended as it’s not only a kind gesture, but is a great way to break the ice and set a foundation for a great friendship. Plan ahead and keep in mind that you do not need to spend too much money on your welcome gift. If you do not know what welcome gift you should give to your international student, here is a list of gift ideas to help you decide:
· Photo of the family members with their names on it to help the student recognize everyone easily
· Notepad with important phone numbers and addresses
· List of local restaurants and places to visit
· Phone card(s)
· Prepaid cell phone
· City and state map
· Public transportation map
· Mini dictionary
· Some school supplies e.g. pencil, notepad, pens, etc.
· “How- to” list e.g. how to make an international call, how to join the library, etc.
· Country flag
· Coffee table book with pictures of your home country, state, or region
· Mug with pictures of your home country, state, or region
· Fruit basket
· Box of local chocolate
· Assorted snacks e.g. chips, cookies, gummies, etc.
Remember that the student is coming from abroad to live with complete strangers in a country that is unfamiliar; therefore, a warm welcome and a welcome gift can go a long way.
Do you have any other gift ideas? Let us know in the comments below.